Odds and ends today @ Foothill Ranch Community Park (Lake Forest)

  • canyon53ss
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2014
      Had a couple hours to kill so thought I would stop at this community park. I stop here a couple times a month for a walk through and occasionally see something interesting.

      Today it was California Quail. They were remarkably tame for the species which I always find very flighty. If one is inclined and needs this species, this might be a good place.  I saw a covey of a dozen about 3pm today between the children's playground in the grassy area and the shrubs on the slope just beneath the houses.

      At that time of day, the sun is at your back so for you photographers out there, this might be a pretty cool photo opportunity.  I suspect they are in these shrubs quite a lot, particularly in this area.  Farther east (away from the parking lot) is a huge grass ballfield and LOTS of loose dogs everywhere (including chasing birds), so I don't imagine they go that direction openly though the shrubs run the length of that field to the edge of one of the arroyos that comprises Whiting Wilderness Park.  There were plenty of screaming kids in the playground and that didn't seem to phase them. Sort of odd, really.

      A Hooded Oriole was found in the palms behind one of the houses and otherwise a pretty typical mix of birds one would expect near a grassy area which borders chaparral.  Sparrows included House, Savannah, Lincoln's, Golden-crowned and White-crowned.  The Lincoln's I saw was stunningly beautiful but I had to shoot through a fence to get a pic.

      A nice park for a short jaunt but beware the loose dogs. I saw one leashed dog the entire time I was there..

      Happy birding,
      Sherry Meddick
      Silverado