Japanese White-eye --possible?

  • bmatheus13
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2014
      Hello,
      I was just in Costa Mesa for work last week and as I left my hotel along Newport Blvd, I saw 2-3 birds foraging in some flowering trees. I could only afford brief views of one of the birds with binoculars. The white eye ring was prominent on the yellowish head, and the bill seemed curved -unlike that of a warbler. Chest and belly were gray and undertail coverts yellow. I've seen Japanese white-eye in Hawaii before and that's just what came to mind. Is it possible? I couldn't find any reports on eBird of this species for California.
      Given the invasive nature of this species, I thought I'd report it, just in case.
      If you wish to have more details on this sighting, you may contact me at lamatheus at gmail.
      Happy birdin'
      Luis Matheus
      Highland Beach, FL