FOS black-chinned and grasshopper sparrows

  • Ryan Winkleman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2014

      I am a volunteer on Starr Ranch for point-count surveys in the spring. This morning we are hearing tons of grasshopper sparrows and (in lesser numbers) black-chinned sparrows. No identifiable photos of either yet but I'll try if we find more :-)

      Note that Starr Ranch is not open to the public.

      Ryan Winkleman
      RSM

    • Ryan Winkleman
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 28, 2014
        Lots of black-chinned sparrows and grasshopper sparrows again this morning on Starr Ranch during our point-counts. They may be out elsewhere in the county too by now, in the right habitats. In my experience the grasslands south/west of the 405 (e.g. the Laguna hills, Bommer Canyon) are good places to find grasshopper sparrow. This morning my friend and I got lucky and were able to put eyes on both species from pretty close.

        A series of photos and videos of each species singing/calling is located here for those interested or who have never seen or heard these migrants: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rswinkleman/13470048155/in/photostream/

        Note again: Starr Ranch is closed to general entry by the public.

        Ryan Winkleman
        RSM