No Dusky-capped Flycatcher, but yes, a Eurasian Wigeon

  • ocbirding <djenisch@adelphia.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2003
      We went to Northwood Community Park in Irvine this morning to look for a possible Dusky-capped Flycatcher as posted to Orange
      CountyBirding earlier this week. Stayed a while at the corner of the park on Monticello at Morris and Dorchester. Had a wonderful
      time watching a brilliantly colored Ruby-crowned Kinglet in the pines who kept flashing his red, red crown at us. Had a couple of
      Townsend's Warblers working the pines also, and plenty of Yellow-rumped Warblers. Noted some Western Bluebirds down at the
      next corner, but didn't see any nesting boxes for them. Maybe I just missed them? If there aren't any there yet, maybe Dick Purvis
      would like to know.

      Did not find a Dusky-capped Flycatcher. Did hear a Cassin's Kingbird. We had the scope with us and took plenty of time in looking
      and listening. Talked with another birder who walks the park regularly, but she hasn't yet seen a Dusky in the park. Could be that
      we were there at the wrong time of day.

      Later on we spent some time at Upper Newport Backbay, where San Joaquin Hills Rd comes down to Backbay Dr. Had a wonderful
      Eurasian Wigeon (adult breeding plumage male) in amongst the American Wigeons, Green-winged Teals, Blue-winged Teals, and
      various shorebirds. Was disappointed that the road was closed to cars from that point on. Strangest thing was the absence of Common
      Yellowthroats...where could they have gotten themselves off to? !!!

      Enjoy your time with the birds this weekend.

      Delores Jenisch
      Fullerton, North Orange County, California, USA