Scissor-tails at San Joaquin?

  • wagtail1997 <JWeintraub@fullerton.edu>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2003
      Group,

      I've let the OrCoRBA know yesterday that on the species board at San
      Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary was a post of 2 Scissor-tailed Flycatchers
      seen last Friday.

      I asked for further information. Frank Weagant responded to me today
      and indicated he saw at distance last Friday morning two long tailed
      flycatchers at San Joaquin at the Marsh, but too far away to see
      coloration. Another birder Frank ran into said he had just seen a
      Fork-Tailed Flycatcher.

      Hmmm.... I think there are only two records of Fork-tailed
      Flycatchers in California (and none for the County) while a few years
      ago we had an "invasion" of scissor-tails with (if I remember right)
      as many as 3-5 here in the County.

      There were no reports of unusual flycatchers from San Joaquin
      Sanctuary either Saturday or today. So keep your eyes (and options)
      open if you see these birds, and get good documentation if it is the
      rarer species, but 2 Fork-tails seem pretty improbable.

      Joel Weintraub, Dana Point, CA