Zone-tailed Hawk

  • alazere <alazere1@cox.net>
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 20, 2003
      I was in Caspers Park on Sunday and was unable to locate the ZTHA. A
      ranger told me she had seen it on Saturday, Jan 18, early in the
      morning, roosting in a sycamore along the Oak Trail. This is the area
      that it's been seen since Jan 4.

      Andy Lazere
      Laguna Niguel
    • bettinae79
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 7, 2010
        I spotted a Zone-tailed Hawk at Irvine Regional Park while birding with Jan Wilson and a really nice couple from Minnesota. The bird was pearched in a small oak just off trail from where we were hiking. I did go in for a closer look while the others stayed behind and it finally spooked as it was nervous about some nearby Ravens.
        Bird every moment,
        Bettina
      • Monte
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 17 2:49 PM
          Along Trabuco 1/4 mile east of Bake in Lake Forest.
          At 12:50 pm. Will post photos later.
          Monte Taylor
          Irvine & Tustin, CA
        • Steve Sosensky
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 17 5:00 PM
            The Zone-tailed Hawk flew over Optics4Birding at about 3:15 PM this
            afternoon. We're only a couple of blocks from Bake and Trabuco.
            Unfortunately, it didn't stay long enough for photos. It appeared to
            be heading north along Bake. Dan Lockshaw and Bruce Aird tried
            chasing it but could not refind it.

            At 02:49 PM 11/17/2012, Monte wrote:
            >Along Trabuco 1/4 mile east of Bake in Lake Forest.
            >At 12:50 pm. Will post photos later.

            Good Viewing,
            Steve Sosensky
            Vice President <mailto:Steve@...>

            http://www.Optics4Birding.com
            <http://www.optics4birding.com/blog>
            Read our birding blog

            Follow us on Facebook
            <http://twitter.com/@Optics4Birding>
            Follow us on Twitter

            19 Hammond Suite 506
            Irvine CA 92618
            877.OP4.BIRD (877.674.2473) Toll Free
            949.360.OPTX (949.360.6789) Local
          • dave_telford
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 19 8:30 PM
              Sunday, Nov 18th my wife and I watched the Zone-tailed Hawk come in low and circle the cemetery on Trabuco. It came in at 3:35 PM stayed for about 5 minutes then flew off to the southeast. We were able to keep in bino view for 30 minutes. Two Ravens were harassing it.

              Dave Telford
            • alazere
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 20 5:05 PM
                The Zone-tailed Hawk made a 5-10 minute flyover of Ascension Cemetery and north-east of Trabuco Road in Lake Forest at 4:05 Tuesday afternoon 11/20. It appeared at the same time the Turkey Vulture number grew to about 25.

                Andy Lazere
                Laguna Niguel
              • Bruce Aird
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2012
                  This afternoon at about 3:15 pm, I saw the continuing Zone-tailed Hawk
                  flying quite low over Parker Drive as I was turning into Optics4Birding. I
                  first observed the bird circling high over the intersection of Bake and
                  North Pointe Drive while waiting to turn left onto Irvine/Trabuco from Bake
                  Parkway. The bird continued to work southwest, dropping in elevation, and
                  then flying straight over Parker Drive in the general direction of the old
                  El Toro Marine Air Station, roughly southwest from the Irvine/Parker
                  intersection. At this point, the bird was low enough that I could make out
                  the tail banding and bright yellow feet with the naked eye as it flew right
                  over me.

                  Obviously, this bird is still around, and tending towards its habit of
                  mid-afternoon appearances in this general vicinity.

                  Bruce Aird
                  Lake Forest, CA

                • leeberkim316
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 15, 2015

                    I had the Zone-tailed hawk over my office at the corner of El Toro and Muirlands today about 1PM.  I couldn't get a picture with only my cell phone.  I think this was originally seen on October 6th.

                    Kimberlee Staff

                    Trabuco Canyon

                  • Don Hoechlin
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 15, 2015
                      Have ZT Hawk at Santa Margarita Honda. Present for about 10 minutes circling around. Don Hoechlin. Costa Mesa
                      Sent from my iPhone
                    • Don Hoechlin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 15, 2015
                        Photo of Zone -tailed Hawk at Santa Margarita Honda on Flickr : https://flic.kr/p/BLUdQG     Don Hoechlin.    Costa Mesa.

                        Sent from my iPhone
                      • rogerschoedl
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 20, 2015
                          Frank Wigsheider and I surveyed Aliso Creek in Lake Forest for the inland CBC today. We saw a ZONE-TAILED HAWK fly over us at 11:30am when we were along the creek on the south side of Trabuco Road. It came in from the north, made a few circles overhead, and sailed off to the east.

                          This spot is very close to Peachwood Drive/Tamarisk Park and El Toro Cemetery where a Zone-tailed Hawk was seen last winter. The hilltop on Peachwood may be a good alternate location to watch from if the hawk is missed in Rancho Santa Margarita.

                          Roger Schoedl
                          Huntington Beach
                        • bettinae869
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 24 5:08 PM
                            Standing at the BBQ with my brother Tom, in Costa Mesa near Estancia Park, we had a probable Zone-tailed Hawk. No cocktails nor binoculars were involved in my ID! So, I was not under the influence, at that time! However, it flew directly over the next door neighbors yard!

                            Happy Thanksgiving!!

                            Bird Every Moment,
                            Bettina Eastman
                            Huntington Beach