Scarlet Tanager

  • jpike44
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2013
      An early, immature male Scarlet Tanager was found in a lerpy euc within the so-called "fertile crescent" (what a dumb name!) on the NE side of the lake near Euclid/Edinger at Mile Square Park this morning (see photo). Most interesting to me was that it repeatedly gave soft, whistled, disyllabic 't(u)wee' notes, as I've never heard a Scarlet give that call before. It was clearly the equivalent of the high 'tsseep' notes that Westerns give in fall and winter. A non-Lazuli Bunting was also feeding on lerps high in the same eucalyptus trees. It gave buzz calls and 'tup' notes, had subtle wingbars, and a buff-brown coloration on the underparts that wasn't confined to the breast. I'm gritting my teeth and calling it an Indigo Bunting (and that has almost nothing to do with the fact I need Indigo for my Mile Square Park list). Lastly, the Lucy's Warbler continues in nearby sycamore trees.

      Jim Pike
      HB