Summer Tanager, Willow Flyc - LNRP Sunday 10-06-13, etc.

  • jacksnipe1990
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2013

      Today (SUN 10/6/13 - 8:30-11:00a) at Laguna Niguel Regional Park (LNRP) was very birdy around Shelter 3 near the playground, and along the northern creek (i.e. tennis court area). Mostly Yellow-rumped Warblers (100+) and Orange-crowned Warblers, but decent numbers of Townsend's Warblers esp near the footbridge by Shelter 1 and 2, and several Black-throated Gray Warblers. One Hermit Warbler (imm female type) at Shelter 3. Best birds were a bright ochre-colored SUMMER TANAGER (SUTA) at the willow/creek between Shelter 3 and the playground, and a WILLOW FLYCATCHER (WIFL) in a large sycamore directly NE of the aforementioned playground. No other first-of-season (fos) birds today besides the SUTA and the WIFL, but yesterday I had a fos Red-breasted Sapsucker and a pair of Lincoln's Sparrows in the grove area below the dam. There are still a few Lazuli Buntings around as well, usually up high in the eucs eating lerps and hard to see.

      Way back on Thursday 10/03/13 at Mason Reg. Park in Irvine, I had a fos CASSIN's VIREO high in a sycamore near the rangers station/entrance to the park, which came down close in response to pishing, and gave a great little (3-part) scold call as I watched.

      Robert McNab

      Laguna Niguel