Laguna Niguel - Warblers + Clay-colored Sparrow photos

  • revup67
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2013
      Upon visiting Laguna Niguel Regional park on 10/1 approx 5pm I had run into Tom Benson, Gary Meredith and also Mike Sanders.  Seems we were all mostly in search of the same two birds:  Clay-colored Sparrow and the Black-throated Green Warbler.  Though there was a foray of Warblers on 10/1, no signs of the latter two in this time frame although a Blackpoll Warbler made a brief appearance. (photo below)

      Upon my return on 10/2 (this time a bit earlier 3:15) I ran into Dwight Mudry who had seen the Clay-colored about 30 minutes prior to my arrival and Caroline (from Sea and Sage Audubon) who is a spectacular birder as she heard the buzzing call of the Clay-colored Sparrow nearby.  Dwight, myself and Caroline walked a few feet and above in the Sycamore adjacent to the stream tree was our prize bird.  (see below for photo)

      During this time, it was interesting to watch as the abundance of various warblers freckled the creek for several minutes then all would disappear and then repeat the process a short time later.  During this process I was fortunate enough to photo very nice shots of a Black-throated Gray Warbler, Townsend's, Wilson's and the somewhat elusive Black-throated Green Warbler (see below).  Not to exclude the Orange-crowned Warbler, several 1st year Yellow-rumped Warblers and a Chipping Sparrow.

      Mike Sanders resurfaced for a second try around 4:45 or so at the first two birds mentioned above as well as the initial spotter, Rob McNab who accompanied a gentleman from Seattle.  Rob pointed out  a Hermit Warbler in the shadows up the creek as well as offered a positive ID on the photo captures of the Black-throated Green Warbler and the Clay-colored Sparrow on my camera.

      In conclusion I wish to thank all the birders mentioned above for their comradery and expertise in making this an incredible two days.

      Here's the photo captures from 10/1 and 10/2 at Laguna Niguel Regional Park:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/10063421293/ Wilson's Warbler

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/10063399164/in/photostream/ Blackpoll Warbler

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/10063555925/in/photostream/ Yellow-rumped Warbler (1st winter)

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/10063788653/in/photostream/ Black-throated Gray Warbler