Laguna Niguel Reg Park Warbler Madness 9/21/13

  • jacksnipe1990
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2013

      SAT 9/21/13

      I birded Laguna Niguel Regional Park between 3:30P and 6:00P and experienced a veritable warblerfest under sunny and breezy conditions. Birds were concentrated down along the creek below the spillway, and if you sat or stood quietly, multiple birds would come down to drink and bathe in the creek.

      I had ten species of warbler, including:

      Tennessee Warbler  (TEWA)

      Orange-crowned Warbler (OCWA)

      Nashville Warbler

      Yellow Warbler (YEWA)

      Yellow-rumped Warbler (YRWA)

      Townsend’s Warbler (TEWA)

      Prairie Warbler (PRWA)

      Black-and-white Warbler

      Common Yellowthroat

      Wilson’s Warbler (WIWA)

      At one point, there were six species of warbler at the watering hole under the big willow: TEWA, OCWA, YRWA, TOWA, YEWA and WIWA. I think Tom F-H may have gotten a good photo of this gathering.

      The Prairie Warbled proved elusive after my first brief sighting at 4:30P, but it appeared to be a male with heavy black side and flank stripes on a bright yellow body, with white undertail feathers and whitish untertail coverts. Facial pattern was not as dark as the flank stripes, but good for PRWA.

      Tom Ford-Hutchinson spotted a Brewer’s Sparrow, which I also got multiple good looks at. This is a first record for the park to the best of my knowledge! He also had a Blackpoll Warbler after I left, so it was an eleven warbler species afternoon. Wonder what the northern creek  and shelter 3 areas are holding?

      Robert McNab

      Laguna Niguel