Blue-footed Booby in Dana Point Harbor

  • Zachary Perry
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15 8:48 PM
      (9/15/13) A little before sunset, about 6:10 pm, I located a BLUE-FOOTED BOOBY on the long jetty in Dana Point Harbor.  It was about 50 to 70 yards from the end of the jetty, about half way up the rocks from the water (not sitting on top).  I scoped it from the island area, more specifically standing next to the wooden sign that faces the harbor mouth.  Unmistakable bird: gray dagger-like bill and gray facial skin; wings very long and narrow, brown on top with some white underneath; white belly and long whitish neck, back of neck and head streaky grayish-brown; legs and large feet gray slightly tinted blue (in shadow); tail dark and pointed.  I observed the bird for about two minutes; it seemed antsy, flapping it wings and attempting to hop to higher rocks.  I took some photos but they were far too grainy, so I attempted to digi-scope the bird.  By the time I finally lined up my cellphone camera and the scope, the bird had disappeared.  As I attempted to relocate the bird, some people came walking down the jetty and stirred everything up.  I kept trying to relocate it, checked the bait barge, the small jetty, a feeding frenzy just beyond the harbor mouth, and rechecked the long jetty several times after the people had left, but with no luck.  I gave up at 7:15 as the light was just too dim.  So in conclusion, there is, or was, a Blue-footed Booby (neck looked good for adult, but feet didn't) in Dana point Harbor on the long jetty.  Could be worth checking out tomorrow morning, do note though that the bird will be very well camouflaged amongst the rocks and guano if its sitting on the side of the rocks like when I saw it.

      Other birds of note included a female Belted Kingfisher on the jetty, a flyby Peregrine Falcon, and a single Black Oystercatcher.

      Good Luck and Happy Birding,
      Zachary Perry
      Coto de Caza