Harriett Ruff Today

  • Brian Daniels
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2013
      All,

      I found a juvenile Ruff at Harriett Wieder Regional Park this morning (Sept 2) in the fog. It promptly left, but I returned in the afternoon to check the pond (the "corner" pond south a couple hundred yards of Fisher's Gulch) and found that it had returned. I obtained some identifiable photos including this one on my flickr site.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/24617651@N07/9660510970/

      In flight it was the same size as nearby Greater Yellowlegs, so I judged this Ruff to be a Ruff and not a Reeve. Jim is right, of course, that the great majority of Ruffs in southern California seem to be Reeves.

      Also of interest to Harriett aficionados, salt water will be sent into this cell off Harriett starting tomorrow. The purpose is to reclaim Snowy Plover habitat lost to the increasing freshwater marsh vegetation. A secondary benefit, I hope, will be to reclaim shorebird habitat of which we have so little left in Orange County (and elsewhere).

      Brian Daniels
      Long Beach, Orange County