Afternoon at SJWS - White-crowned Sparrow (new bird for me)

  • crispystatic
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2013
      Got to SJWS around 4:15p. Went down to the river side to see if the perching Osprey, that was on the crane, was going to get an afternoon snack. Sure enough they did. What a treat to see them eating. Also saw 2 Immature Night Herons, 1 Adult Night Heron, 1 Immature Green Heron and 1 Adult Green Heron. Very close to the river and neat to observe.

      After the Osprey stated eating, I went walking around my normal quick scan of Ponds C, D and E. Lesser Scaup was present at Pond D along with a White-crowned Sparrow. The White-crowned sparrow was a new bird for me. Not sure how common they are, but it was the first one I've ever seen. It was hiding in the bush just to the left of the IRWD gate at the edge of Pond D. Yay!

      As I'm just really starting to understand more about birding, I can't wait for the upcoming fall/winter/spring to see what all shows up. Very excited to learn!

      White-crowned Sparrow
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/crispystatic/9602605947/

      Lesser Scaup
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/crispystatic/9602606149/