Bank Swallow- San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary 8/24

  • Trish
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24 12:14 PM
      I spent about 4 hours at SJWS this morning. I ran into Rick Shearer who re-found the Bank Swallow at pond C and we had nice views of it from the path along the wall.
      There was also a Spotted Sandpiper around the edge below the perch at Pond C, a female American Wigeon, and the continuing Lesser Scaup were also present.
      Another birder had a White-winged Dove that I saw a photo of.
      I spent another hour trying to re-find the dove with no luck.

      On an unrelated note, when I first arrived and it was quite foggy, I had 3 Coyotes at the intersection of Ponds ABCD.

      Trish Gussler
      Anaheim

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/trishrg
    • Rick 'Proto-rustie'
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 24 8:25 PM
        Yes, the Bank Swallow gave us lots of nice looks. I also saw the White Winged Dove as a lady was photographing it, and have to admit it didn't register as a WWD without seeing the picture. I also saw a Red-tailed Hawk and a Northern Harrier having a bit of a mid air skirmish over the end of the boardwalk. They went their separate ways. Lastly as I was putting my X's on the list at the Audubon House I heard a ruckus and a crash in the parking lot. A Coopers Hawk had grabbed a Mourning Dove and was putting an end to it right there in the parking lot, right outside the men's room. Another Mourning Dove was running, not flying, like hell to the other side of the lot and under the parked cars.

        Rick Shearer
        Huntington Beach