Black Tern at SJWS Pond 4

  • Michael M
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2013
      This morning I was previewing the ponds in preparation for Sea & Sage Audubon Advanced Bird Camp. Around 8:30am, looking into Pond 4 I noticed a tern of similar size as the Least Terns but with black on the chest: A molting Black Tern. I observed it for several close passes but had to run off to get ready for the camp's bird walk. The good news is, when we came back with all the kids (in multiple groups and from multiple sides of Pond 4) it was still there. The bird walk ended at 10:35 or so, with the Black Tern still over Pond 4. A life bird for all of the kids, as far as I could tell!!

      Michael Mavrovouniotis
      Irvine