Santa Ana River and a little Bolsa Chica

  • Trish
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2013
      Happy Saturday

      I birded the Santa Ana river this morning from about 7:30 to 10:00, from east of Glassell to so. of Lincoln where Burris Basin begins and the water dries up in the river. Since I was there 2 weeks ago, from Lincoln east about a half mile area has been completely bulldozed, and just about all the vegetation is gone except along the edges in that area.
      There was still some okay activity, and the water flow is now closer to the walk path. The more numerous birds were still White-faced Ibis, and many Greater and less Lesser Yellowlegs, with small numbers of peeps.
      East of Glassell after getting excited thinking I had a Vermillion Flycatcher it turned out I found a colony of Orange Bishops.
      I also found a single Blue Grosbeak.

      I then headed over to Bolsa Chica, and as Roger mentioned, not a lot going on there. I tried for Rick's Horned Larks, but all I found was a dead Tern in the fenced area.
      There are still several Black-bellied Plover still in alternate plumage which were nice to see. Scattered peeps were around, but not a huge number.
      I re-found the continuing Horned Grebe walking back along the PCH.

      I will no doubt see some of you at the SJWS BBQ tonight~

      Good birding
      Trish Gussler
      Anahiem