HB tern preserve: snowy plover and glaucous-winged gull

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2013
      Just finished my shift at the least tern nesting preserve at Huntington State Beach, about an hour ago. Tern activity at the preserve is winding down, and the numbers of terns have been dropping for the past couple of weeks. There's still quite a few fledglings hanging around, but I imagine they'll pretty much be gone in the next week or two.

      A couple other birds of note: snowy plovers, which we hadn't seen at the preserve since mid-May, have begun showing up again in the last week. I saw one plover this evening. I think this is a male, but I could be wrong:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50296680@N06/9329694931/in/photostream/

      Also, I photographed what I believe to be a glaucous-winged gull. This seems very early for this species to be here. Please take a look at my photo on Flickr and correct me if I'm wrong:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50296680@N06/9329697623/in/photostream/

      Charles Baker
      Tustin