Bolsa Chica Loon

  • kenidjack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2002
      Hi All, I went to Bolsa Chica late this afternoon (4pm) to try to see this
      intriguing loon. Colorado has just had its first record of Arctic Loon (and
      first for interior Lower 48 too) so I went with an open mind. After a lot of
      searching, I eventually found a Pacific Loon by the bridge. I'm not sure if
      this is the same bird that others have been seeing or if there are 2 loons
      there but during my searching I only found this bird. I am about to post a
      photo in the photo section, so those who've seen the loon in question can
      verify if this looks like the same bird. I'm afraid, it is a very poor photo
      as the light was failing.

      Arctic Loon would appear larger, longer-necked and longer-billed than this
      bird. Both species can exhibit white flank patches (as this individual does).
      I know of some photos of the Colorado bird on www.surfbirds.com (N. American
      Rarity photos) type arctic loon in the search box to see how structurally
      distinctive this species is.

      Hope this helps.

      Best,

      Andy Birch