Sharp-shinned in July? Ver 2.0

  • sheridiane@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2013
      Resend with corrected link:

      Over the last few days there has been a hawk in my neighborhood and the trees in
      my backyard. What brought it to my attention first was it's constant vocalizing.
      I immediately thought Cooper's, but then I compared its call to iBird and it
      sounds just like a Sharp-shinned. It seems to have the coarse brown breast
      streaks and square tail of a Sharp-shinned also.

      Looking at aBird and my Sibley's it would appear that a Sharp-shinned is unusual
      for this time of year. Is that true?

      I've posted a few pictures here:

      http://sheridi.zenfolio.com/sharp-shinned

      Thanks.
      Sheri Peterson
      Yorba Linda
    • DeeDee McGann-Gollwitzer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2013
        Looks like a juvenile Cooper's Hawk to me.

        DeeDee Gollwitzer
        Laguna Hills

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13, 2013
          Sheri, In my opinion, I think that might be a Cooper’s Hawk. The fledglings make a high-pitched whistling/begging sound for about 3 weeks after fledging; I have 2 or 3 outside my office that I just started hearing recently. This looks like a Cooper’s to me, based on the general look and the fairly adequate sized legs.

          Linda Anderson
          Costa Mesa, CA