Arroyo Trabuco Trail (Rancho Santa Margarita) - 3 more juvenile Cooper's Hawks

  • revup67
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2013
      A walk that began at approx 4pm today on the Arroyo Trabuco Trail -
      accessed from the Alicia Pkway / Santa Margarita Parkway entrance
      produced a viewing of 3 juvenile Cooper's Hawks together about 50 yards
      just before you walk under the 241 heading toward the back entrance of
      O'Neill park. Myself and two others had first witnessed this 3 pack
      yesterday around 3:45 pm though a sound recording was made, I was minus
      a camera. A second visit today showed the same 3 in the exact same
      location around 6pm

      one of the 3 can be seen here:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/9234899827/ .

      It is interesting to note the iris change from another juvenile I had
      seen in May from orange to this pale blue
      I'll also be posting a vertical shot of 2 of the 3 on the same tree in
      the photo section within this group

      also found were a pair of adult Red-shouldered Hawks (at least one was
      banded). Their location was close to the overpass at Santa Margarita
      Parkway just about 20 yards east toward Saddleback Mtns just off the
      main trail. Their calls were loud and continuous for quite some time.
      Perhaps 20 minutes or more

      a close up of one of the adults can be seen here:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/9234933119/in/photostream/

      Anthony Gliozzo
      Mission Viejo