Carbon Canyon 7/7/13

  • Trish
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2013
      I had a great walk at the park this morning with a friend.
      We were there at 7 and done at 11:00. It was pretty warm by then.
      I took the trail at the end by Chino Hills State park, and walked around thru the Redwoods, then along the trail below the dam, and finally through the park past the lake and back to the car. With all my back tracking, I would say it was a 2.5 mile walk.

      Highlights for me were finally getting a photo or 52 of a California Gnatcatcher. I had one or 2 birds calling in at least 6 spots along my walk, and 2 different birds posed really nicely for me to take some photos.
      Least Bell's Vireo were also singing in at least 6 places.
      There were also 2 Greater Roadrunner out in the open... running... walking... crossing the road.
      There are still 3 Cooper's Hawk juveniles thriving.
      The many Yellow-breasted Chat are still in every other tree along the trail.
      All told, I had 45 species on my list when we were done.

      Good birding

      Trish Gussler
      Anaheim
      www.flickr.com/photos/trishrg/