San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary July 4th

  • Trish
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2013
      Howdy Birders

      I arrived at SJWS at 7:30 ish this morning.
      Nothing out of the ordinary, but a great morning for a walk.
      I saw 2 Black Skimmers at the edge of pond C on the slope past the perch. Probably the best and closest view I've ever had of Skimmers.
      I looked unsuccessfully for the Cattle Egret in pond 1.
      In pond 2 I looked for Grebe's as I had seen on the board a Clark's with chick on the back was reported a couple of days earlier.
      I found the Grebes. They were at a great distance in the far SE side, and I believe they were Clark's and had at least 2 chicks.
      See bad photo here with an adult with chick.
      If you want to photograph these birds, take a really long lens.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/trishrg/9208756871/

      And my ebird list if you're interested is here

      Happy Independence Day!

      Trish Gussler
      Anaheim
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/trishrg
    • Wendy Miller
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2013
        After I saw Trish's post, I decided to go over to SJWS to see the grebe
        chicks. They were indeed as far away as possible, but I was so glad to see
        them in person. I got this shot of one chick riding on mom's back and the
        other swimming alongside. I don't know if the two chicks are the same
        size, but if so, it's amazing that the chick still fits on mom's back! I
        also saw a skimmer skimming on Pond D, which is a great place to get some
        good shots, especially as the sun is starting to go down. Happy 4th of
        July!

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/wemesq/9213827540/in/photostream/

        --
        Wendy Miller