Aliso Wood-Canyon Regional Park 6-30-13

  • revup67
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2013
      Just a few highlights from yesterday's visit on 6-30-13 at Aliso
      Wood-Canyon Regional Park 6-30-13

      I was greeted by 2 large adult Red-tailed Hawks at the entrance of the
      parking lot flying directly overheard along with 3 White-throated Swifts
      just past the ranger station. Here's 2 of the 3 swifts

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/9189380788/in/photostream/

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/9186581021/in/photostream/

      Still lurking around from last month in almost the same exact locations
      were:

      Black-headed Grosbeak - http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/9186481547/

      Bell's Vireo -
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/9189240230/in/photostream/
      (sadly though no sign of the Hutton's Vireo)

      and just a bit further west was the Yellow-breasted Chat with its
      beguiling and diverse call sequence.

      Also noted in the same locale as last month were the Yellow Warblers (2
      this time) and 2 Blue Grosbeak near to each other but at different GPS
      locations. One bird I was never able to visibly see amongst the thick
      brush had an unfamiliar call that sounded like a rapid mourning dove and
      in short bursts with a span of about 45-60 seconds between each call
      (best I can describe). I did manage to record this and if anyone is
      interested in assisting, I can email you the sound file. (thanks).

      And finally, upon exit, 31 American Crows swarmed the parking lot within
      roughly 60 seconds

      Anthony Gliozzo
      Mission Viejo
      (ebird report checklist number S14549848)