Oystercatcher hybrid

  • Nancy Kenyon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2013
      While conducting a bird count this morning from Crescent Bay
      Point Park overlook in north Laguna, we spotted an
      American/Black Oystercatcher hybrid on the rocks north of
      the overlook. It was feeding in close proximity to a group
      of Heermann's Gulls which were also on the rocks. The
      oystercatcher had a black head & breast, dark gray back,
      white belly, white shoulder markings, but no white wing or
      tail patches, and of course a light eye, bright red-orange
      bill, and chalky-pink legs.

      Also on the rocks were 13 Heermann's Gulls, 4 Western Gulls,
      a Black Phoebe, 2 Elegant Terns, and 3 Whimbrels. On Bird
      Rock, there were 59 Brant's Cormorants, 1 Heermann's Gull,
      and 3 Brown Pelicans. We were doing the count for the
      Laguna Ocean Foundation which conducts quarterly bird counts
      along the coast from Crystal Cove south to Dana Point.

      Nancy Kenyon
      Irvine
    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2013
        Steve Sosensky
        Aliso Viejo
        818-522-5261

        I also saw the hybrid oystercatcher. In addition to the field marks Nancy reported, there was fairly extensive white in the secondary coverts, and the thighs and belly were flecked with black rather than pure white.

        Well offshore, from 0715 - 0745 was a moderate bait ball being herded by about 20 Common Dolphins. Birds in attendence were 4 Scripp's Murrelets, 2 Common Murres, several Sooty Shearwaters, and a Pink-footed Shearwater.