Black Oystercatcher Photos (2) - Dana Point Harbor

  • revup67
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2013
      Last Friday I had reported (no photographs) seeing an adult Black
      Oystercatcher at Dana Point Harbor. The actual time was around 4pm. I
      opted to visit the harbor again yesterday around 2pm in hopes of this
      time obtaining some reasonable photos. After walking Dana Drive for 2
      hours I began heading back to the car but thinking perhaps this is a
      daily ritual for the Black Oystercatcher as I've clearly witnessed with
      other species. Intuition was correct. Off to the right of the main
      entrance of Island Way was in fact the adult once again. It was
      fascinating to monitor its behavior 1)fetching 2)dismantling and
      3)digesting the oysters amid the rocks and at such close range (about
      20-25 feet away).

      I took about 25 close ranges photos of which 2 are here for your
      viewing:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/9157160026/

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/9157117482/

      If you wish to visit the exact spot, the photos are GPS tagged. Simply
      click where it says "Harbor, Dana Point.." just beneath the photo.

      Anthony Gliozzo
      Mission Viejo