Rose-breasted Gosbeak?

  • jenniferlauraine77
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2013
      Located at the far end of Cordova park near the playground on El Retiro in Mission Viejo. Didn't know what it was at the time and didn't have a camera with me but it looked like a rose-breasted grosbeak when I googled. Are these common and/or migrants in CA? The range for the RBG on many maps doesn't include CA. What other birds could it have been? Black head, white and black patchy body with very red throat, Robin-sized. Didn't hear the call.
      Thanks
      Jen Gardner
      Mission Viejo CA
    • Anthony G.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28, 2013
        Jennifer

        With respect to identifying your sighting as a red-breasted grosbeak it is
        entirely possible it may have been a female black-headed grosbeak. They do
        look quite similar. I myself have seen and photographed a female
        black-headed grosbeak. Here's one of my photos..is this what you witnessed?

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/8718462199/

        This photo was recorded in Mission Viejo near the top of Vista Del Lago

        Anthony Gliozzo

        Mission Viejo