Re: Male Scarlet Tanager

  • Gretchen Mavrovouniotis
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2013
      The male Scarlet Tanager seen by Tom Ford-Hutchinson earlier today was at Huntington Central Park on the trail parallel to Slater Street at 12:35 pm. It was near the "Jump 'N' Touch" par course sign in the willows near the creek. It was only there for a couple of minutes then flew out of sight. I posted a not very good picture of it in the "37 Tanagers Cardinals Grosbeaks" folder, or you can click here:

      Gretchen Mavrovouniotis
      Irvine, CA
    • Charles
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24, 2013
        After searching long and hard, I also re-found the male scarlet tanager first reported this morning at Huntington Central Park by Tom Ford-Hutchinson. I found him at 3:45 pm at the north end of the park, near the swampy area east of the pull up bars where the Magnolia warbler was seen last winter. He was in a dense mulberry tree overlooking the eastern end of the swamp, along with at least four Western tanagers and a female black-headed grosbeak. He popped out on a leafless branch and gave me a nice long look at him---a very lovely bird indeed.

        Thanks Tom---this is at least the third life bird I've gotten because of you!

        Charles Baker
        Tustin