Park Place update: some encouraging news

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2013
      Hi all:

      Over the past couple of years I've posted a few times about the situation here at my place of employment, the Park Place complex on Michelson Drive in Irvine. Due to the mirrored glass that covers all of the buildings here, Park Place has been a real hazard for birds, particularly during the Spring migration. This year has proven to be different, thankfully. Back in March, the powers that be here at Park Place decided to remove nearly all of the mature jacaranda and tipu trees that surround the complex. At first, I was rather annoyed that the trees would be taken out during nesting season, but it appears that the decision to do so has resulted in a beneficial effect: since the trees were removed, I have not encountered a single bird carcass around the buildings. On May 9th, I did find a dazed Townsend's warbler that I hand carried away from the buildings; he soon recovered and flew off. But that's the only collision of which I'm aware. This suggests to me that the lack of reflected tree images in the mirrored windows is directly responsible for the decreased fatalities. Hopefully I'm not celebrating too soon, but it seems to me that the bulk of the Spring migration should be done already....so color me hopeful here at Park Place!

      Charles Baker
      Tustin