Philadelphia Vireo in Hunt. Beach Central Park

  • davidevans511
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2013
      I had the pleasure of hosting a visiting expert birder Tony Brake (from the bay area)yesterday. We started at Irvine Park then went to Bolsa Chica and finished up the afternoon at the HB Central Park. The highlight of the day was seen at the HBCP.
      Tony spotted an unusual Vireo in the fenced in garden area below the library which had a prominent dark line through the eye and lores with white eye ring and light yellow breast. We chased it for quite awhile and eventually got really good looks and heard it calling (and compared the call to Stokes ap) but no photos. We had to conclude it was a Philadelphia Vireo. I checked e-bird and there haven't been many reported in the county.

      David Evans
      Tustin