Reddish egrets back at Bolsa Chica, horned gredbes remain

  • cany
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2013
      I have been searching for the reddish egrets at Bolsa Chica for two weeks. Today, I first found one across the Pacific Coast Highway entrance (over the walk bridge, turn left and go to the viewing point with metal benches; bird was west of there in the mudflats). To say I was happy is an understatement. I had the time to photo and video the bird which then flew north over the oil fields and across the adjacent homes.

      I goofed around for a while taking pics and then bumped into another birder (on this list) and we walked together for an hour and a half. During that time we found horned grebes not at the walk bridge, but again along the Coast Highway trail accessible from the Pacific Coast parking lot, enter at the side of the bus parking (not the walk bridge trail). With the horned, were eared and the singular remaining western I have seen. In total (walking the pacific coast highway parallel trail and back to the dam and beyond into the channel) we say 10 eared grebe and three horned.

      AND on the way, we saw two more reddish egrets. Whether one of these birds was one I had previously seen is unknown. They were approx. 70M north of the dam.

      Was raining here when I left, and a beautiful sunny day at the coast.

      Sherry Meddick
      Silverado