Black Star Canyon - open access day by pre-registration only 9.am. to 3p.m.

  • revup67
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2013
      I got to Baker road about 9:30 a.m. (instad of 9 a.m.) to allow for the
      initial cluster of people to gain entrance in hopes for a bit more
      tranquility as I traveled. That didn't quite work out as well as
      planned but nonetheless Black Star had much to offer throughout the day
      even at mid-afternoon. Loads of bugs flying about which would of course
      keep our fly and gnatcatchers active amongst other species. Since I
      work primarily a long lens vs binoculars I am certain I missed quite a
      few birds as the flew overheard or hopped from bush to bush.

      Here's the verified completed list submitted to eBird - some photos are
      available on line as listed

      Black Star Canyon (open access day) 33.7579 X -117.6725, Orange, US-CA
      May 4, 2013 9:52 AM - 2:52 PM

      Protocol: Traveling

      3.0 mile(s)

      Comments: Submitted from BirdLog for Android v1.6

      18 species

      1. Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) 11 a group of 8 was
      spotted while walking down Hall Canyon towards Silverado. they were at
      eye level at this elevation.

      2. Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) X heard in distance on
      the Baker trail

      3. White-throated Swift (Aeronautes saxatalis) 2 up on ridge
      on the Baker trail have photos

      4. Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) 1 on the
      Silverado Trail

      5. Acorn Woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivorus) 3 at Baker
      Canyon road and Black Star Canyon road

      6. American Kestrel (Falco sparverius) 1 along Baker Canyon
      road

      7. Ash-throated Flycatcher (Myiarchus cinerascens) 1 at
      intersection of Baker and Hall Canyon Trail on branch just below
      telephone wire. Photo at:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/8708164657/in/photostream
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/8708164657/in/photostream>

      8. Western Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma californica) 5 saw through
      various trails esp. in Hall Canyon across from Turkey Vultures

      9. Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota) 8 33.7521,
      -117.6691 33.7529, -117.6715 have photos

      10. Bushtit (Psaltriparus minimus) X near intersection of Helo
      and Silverado Creek Trail (have one photo)

      11. House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) X heard in distance on the
      Baker trail

      12. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) 1 off Baker
      canyon road - bird was popping in and out of large bush like tree. had
      a very distinct white eye ring as well

      13. Wrentit (Chamaea fasciata) 6 33.7517, -117.6686 photo at
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/8709249206/in/photostream
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/8709249206/in/photostream> on
      Silverado Trail

      14. Phainopepla (Phainopepla nitens) X heard in distance on the
      Baker trail

      15. Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus) 4 seen at various locations
      esp. on Silverado Trail - have photo

      16. California Towhee (Melozone crissalis) 3 33.7550, -117.6724

      17. House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 1 yellow variant -
      Silverado Creek Trail photo at:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/8709369776/in/photostream
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/revup67/8709369776/in/photostream>

      18. Lesser Goldfinch (Spinus psaltria) 6 seen at various
      locations esp. on Baker trail and Silverado Trail

      View this checklist online at
      <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13989190>

      This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org
      <http://ebird.org> )