Sat May 4 2013 Franklin's Gull Doheny

  • jacksnipe1990
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2013
      Birded up in the Santa Ana Mtns this a.m then came down to Doheny State Beach in Dana Pt. about 1:30p to check the San Juan Creek mouth. There was a strong westrly wind when I arrived and a lot of terns, including 30+ Caspian Tern, 74+/- Elegant Tern, and 4+ Royal Tern (seems late for the species here). Also one Black Skimmer (been a while since I have seen them at the location), 35+ Calif Gull and 25+ Western Gull. No Black-necked Stilts or Am Avocets and one Whimbrel and on Spotted Sandpiper. At abou 1:30p and dark headed gull flew into the tern flock and landed. It turned out to be an adult FRANKLIN'S GULL. IT stayed about 2-3 minutes only and I was able to snap some poor quality digiscopes: Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47862125@N03/8708952728/in/photostream

      With this nice strong west wind and a front moving in, it may be worthwhile checking the coastal spots agin tomorrow. Good luck.

      Robert McNab
      Laguna Niguel, CA