Benson Feeders-Main Divide Truck Trail-Upper Trabuco

  • stevefcw66
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2013
      Visited the "Benson Feeders" in Upper Trabuco this morning and had one male Calliope Hummingbird visiting the feeders as I first arrived at 8:50 A.M. I had the bird only for thirty seconds or so before it got chased off by one of the many Anna's. After about 15 minutes or so it reappeared in one of the pines next to the feeders. I then walked down the road about 100 yards and saw the two previously reported Pygmy Nuthatches, which were vocalizing at times. At the same spot I had at least four Red-breasted Nuthatches and possibly two more down the road another 50 yards or so. There was also a Lawrence's Goldfinch that flew over, Purple Finches singing, Mountain Quail calling, and two Hairy Woodpeckers, as well as a fair amount of Townsend's and Hermit Warblers in the area. I spent about two hours there but didn't happen to relocate the Townsend's Solitaire or any Empids.

      Steve Morris
      HB