Carbon Canyon Walk 4/21: Blue Grosbeak, Chat, Ash-throated, etc...

  • glepper@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2013
      On the bi-montly Sea & Sage Audubon walk at Carbon Canyon, we had seventeen birders who participated and we ended up with 66 species, with lots of migrants. The birding there was exceptional, lots of great migrants, and some prolonged and splendid up close looks at these birds.

      Highlights:

      There were three Blue Grosbeaks up near the dam foraging & pursuing each other and providing some very up close glimpses of these birds.

      At least three Ash-throated Flycatchers foraging in the open area as you leave the SW dirt parking lot to head over towards the redwoods.

      At least five Yellow-breasted Chats throughout the dry riparian area, a couple providing good looks.

      Around half a dozen singing Least Bell's Vireos, including two that gave us good looks at them.

      Two Great Horned Owls at the SW end of the park.

      For me, the biggest treat was the startled Long-tailed Weasel that appeared on the trail a few feet from us and gave us a great albeit fleeting look at it.

      There were a large number of migrants, Western Tanagers in the Silk Oaks, lots of Black-headed Grosbeaks, even more Yellow Warblers, nesting Cliff Swallows at the dam, etc... Thanks to all the participants who turned out and contributed to such a successful walk.

      The complete list of birds follows:

      66 Species
      Canada Goose
      Mallard
      California Quail
      Great Blue Heron
      Great Egret
      Snowy Egret
      Turkey Vulture
      Cooper's Hawk
      Red-shouldered Hawk
      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Coot
      Whimbrel
      Eurasian Collared-Dove
      Great Horned Owl
      Anna's Hummingbird
      Allen's Hummingbird
      Belted Kingfisher
      Acorn Woodpecker
      Nuttall's Woodpecker
      Pacific-slope Flycatcher
      Black Phoebe
      Say's Phoebe
      Ash-throated Flycatcher
      Cassin's Kingbird
      Bell's Vireo
      Hutton's Vireo
      Western Scrub-Jay
      American Crow
      Common Raven
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow
      Tree Swallow
      Cliff Swallow
      Bushtit
      Rock Wren
      House Wren
      Bewick's Wren
      Wrentit
      Western Bluebird
      Hermit Thrush
      American Robin
      Northern Mockingbird
      California Thrasher
      European Starling
      Cedar Waxwing
      Orange-crowned Warbler
      Common Yellowthroat
      Yellow Warbler
      Yellow-rumped Warbler
      Black-throated Gray Warbler
      Wilson's Warbler
      Yellow-breasted Chat
      Spotted Towhee
      California Towhee
      Savannah Sparrow
      Song Sparrow
      White-crowned Sparrow
      Western Tanager
      Black-headed Grosbeak
      Blue Grosbeak
      Red-winged Blackbird
      Hooded Oriole
      Bullock's Oriole
      House Finch
      Lesser Goldfinch
      American Goldfinch
      Nutmeg Mannikin

      --==--
      Garett Lepper
      Orange
    • mike7801
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2013
        Thanks for the wonderful bird walk. I posted the photo of the walk on:

        https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.533440556699411.1073741826.455449737831827&type=1

        Mike Huang
        Irvine, CA