Great Birding Day at Harriett Wieder Park Count

  • Terry Hill
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2013
      The monthly count at Harriett Wieder Park was held this morning, April 19. Besides the beautiful weather, we had a lot of good birds. Most of them were either in Fisher's Gulch (FG) or in "Area 3", which is the area below the corner of Seapoint & Garfield. Highlights include:

      3 Ash-throated Flycatchers
      1 Cassin's Kingbird
      9 Western Kingbirds
      2 Warbling Vireos
      1 CASSIN'S VIREO (Area 3)
      1 BELL'S VIREO (Area 3)
      1 HUTTON'S VIREO (FG)
      1 Western Bluebird
      2 Hermit Thrush
      14 Orange-crowned Warblers (FG plus elsewhere)
      1 Yellow Warbler (Fisher's Gulch)
      1 Black-throated Gray Warbler (FG)
      5 Wilson's Warblers (FG plus elsewhere)
      3 NASHVILLE WARBLERS (1 in FG, 2 in Area 3)
      1 Western Tanager
      3 Black-headed Grosbeaks
      7 Hooded Orioles
      4 Lazuli Buntings

      We had a total of 56 species just for Harriett Wieder Park itself (we also count the areas just inside Bolsa Chica). We had 7 species of warblers in Fisher's Gulch alone.

      Terry Hill
      Huntington Beach, Calif.