Santa Ana River: Common Snipe

  • ocbirding
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2002
      Great days to be out birding!

      The first site we were at today was the Santa Ana River for about 1/2
      mile along the northeast end of Yorba Regional Park. We also checked
      the park lake area where we found one lone Redhead in among all the
      "regulars". Had hoped to do more warbler watching (lots of
      Townsend's Warblers), but the female Cooper's Hawk had other ideas for
      those little birds. Quite exciting to watch her fly in and out, low
      through the trees as she hunted.

      The second site was also the Santa Ana River, but further downstream
      at the Lakeview bridge. Amazed at how many Spotted Sandpipers were
      there. Quite a few American Wigeons were in the calmer water, some with
      very whiteish "pates." Our very last, and most surprising,
      sighting was a Common Snipe. It was downstream from the bridge, just
      beyond the water spillway, on the bike path side of the river, along
      the edge of the water working in the mud and plants. Very bold markings
      on it. Pleasure to watch it.

      Good birding to you all,
      Delores Jenisch
      Fullerton, North Orange County