surprise woodpecker sighting

  • Rick Shearer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      After seeing a red shafted flicker at work this week, I'm surprised
      that I can top it. Today while putting out seed I looked up in our
      dead nectarine tree and saw something new. As my eyes caught up with
      him I saw he was black and white, in bars and dots, then I saw the
      red band on his head. He finally got tired of my tree and flew to
      the neighbor's yard as I stood dead still. I checked my book and I'd
      say it was a Nutall's Woodpecker. I'm sure these are common for some
      of you all living in more inland and older areas, but I've not seen
      one in the Fountain Valley burbs before.

      Rick Shearer
      Fountain Valley
    • Bob Allen
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
        Rick, you are lucky to see it so quickly; one most frequently hears it
        and has to start looking (in my experience with it). Nuttalls' are
        always a thrill. Listen for their call very early in the morning. My
        next door neighbor recently asked me how to get rid of the one that
        appears daily in my yard and begins calling about 4am. It took a lot of
        bird-promoting to talk him out of his desire to discourage it. It's my
        favorite alarm clock!

        -Bob Allen

        On Friday, November 1, 2002, at 04:03 PM, Rick Shearer wrote:

        > After seeing a red shafted flicker at work this week, I'm surprised
        > that I can top it. Today while putting out seed I looked up in our
        > dead nectarine tree and saw something new. As my eyes caught up with
        > him I saw he was black and white, in bars and dots, then I saw the
        > red band on his head. He finally got tired of my tree and flew to
        > the neighbor's yard as I stood dead still. I checked my book and I'd
        > say it was a Nutall's Woodpecker. I'm sure these are common for some
        > of you all living in more inland and older areas, but I've not seen
        > one in the Fountain Valley burbs before.
        >
        > Rick Shearer
        > Fountain Valley
        >

        > To search for a bird discussed in past messages, browse or search the
        > archives at:
        > http://www.egroups.com/group/OrangeCountyBirding/

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Bob Allen