Coal Canyon Sage Sparrows 4/07/13

  • jacksnipe1990
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7 1:57 PM
      The pair of Bell's Sage Sparrows that Tom Benson reported on March 30, 2013 in the upper ridge of the Coal Canyon section of Chino Hills State Park, continued today, Sunday April 7, 2013.

      It took me about 40 minutes to find the sparrows once I arrived at the "spot" as described previously by Tom (see message #7234), and finally I heard the male singing down slope from the trail near the rocky outcroppings. I was able to get video of the bird singing and some photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47862125@N03/8628283073/in/photostream/

      A few other notable sightings included a male Costa's Hummingbird that landed right in front of me at the Sage Sparrow spot:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/47862125@N03/8629372802/in/photostream/
      , and two pairs of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, with one pair actively nesting. I saw both male and female bringing food to a nest. A poor photo of the nest is also on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47862125@N03/8629375114/in/photostream/

      Lots of other birds along the trail as well, including lots of singing Black-chinned Sparrows.

      Robert McNab
      Laguna Niguel, CA