Yard migrants

  • mrsmeckle
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2013
      I've got a string of Eucalyptus trees behind my back fence on the slope, so I get birds either directly in my backyard helping themselves to my feeders or in the trees right behind me. This morning I came out and first saw a black-headed grosbeak in one of the farther trees, maybe 75 or so feet away but still clearly a grosbeak. It flew away and I went and patrolled my yard to see what all yard work I need to do today. I came back and saw an unidentified oriole sitting up in that tree now, so I ran inside to get my binos and camera but when I came back out it was gone already. I saw some movement high up to my right in the tree closest to me (about 20 feet away) and saw a male western tanager in breeding plumage foraging in the tree. Tried to get a picture but had one of those moments where all the branches looked the same and I couldn't find the bird. Before I could get a photo, two birds, including my tanager, flew off together; presumably the second bird was also a tanager but I never got an identifying look at it.

      Ryan Winkleman
      RSM