Santa Ana Cemetery

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2013
      Met Ryan Winkleman and Charles Baker at the Fairhaven Memorial Park-Santa Ana Cemetery late this afternoon. Things were a little quiet but Ryan managed to dig out the Black-throated Green Warbler, in the usual spot (the n.e. corner of the Santa Ana Cemetery, in live oaks). Looking much like an adult male now. Not too much else, though have been intrigued, during my last couple visits here, by a few singing Chipping Sparrows. These birds seem to be giving more than the occasional song that wintering (or perhaps migrants at this date) might do. Breeding Chippings in the "coastal lowlands" would of course be unexpected (and even in OC's Santa Ana Mountains they are scarce and very localized breeders). But it's been very interesting to see (as documented by Valerie Wheeler) this species establish a small but apparently growing population of breeding Chipping Sparrows at Craig Regional Park (in the eastern Coyote Hills) of Fullerton.

      Doug Willick
      Orange, CA
    • oc2888
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2014

        This morning I visited Santa Ana Cemetery at 7:45AM, 10/8/2014.  The Chipping Sparrows have returned approximately 10 individuals were present.  Also a single Clay-colored Sparrow was present.  In addition a large number (50) of Pin-tail Whydah are present.

        I arrived from the western entrance on Santa Clara Avenue, turned right just before the low voltage power line that runs across the cemetery and parked.  The corner has a marker Santa Ana Cemetery 1870.  The birds were in the immediate vicinity.

        A picture of the Clay-colored Sparrow can be viewed at: lagunix.smugmug.com in the Birds 2014 Gallery.

        Richard Thunen

        Laguna Hills

      • Willick, Doug
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2016

          I dropped by the Fairhaven Memorial Park/Santa Ana Cemetery complex (in northeastern Santa Ana) this afternoon.  Not a whole lot of activity, but did at least find a loose flock of juncos and Chipping Sparrows.  The only thing of interest in the flock was a “Slate-colored” type Junco that showed more brown tones in the upperparts and buff along the sides and flanks than is normal (or at least typical) of Slate-colored Juncos.  I was assuming this is just a female “Slate-colored”, but was considering, at least for a bit, what some call “Cassiar” Junco (J.h. cismontanus).  I haven’t read up on these lately, but I recall that there seems to be varying opinions of what “Cassiar” Junco really is.  Some include it as a western population within the “Slate-colored” group, and others just consider it an intergrade population where the breeding range of “Oregon” Junco overlaps with that of “Slate-colored” Junco (roughly, in the Canadian Rocky Mountain region).  I remember reading somewhere that the “Brown Adult Female” Slate-colored Junco depicted by Sibley is browner than what would typically be considered a brown extreme female “Slate-colored.”  In any case, I posted a few photos of the Santa Ana Cemetery junco at my Flickr site, which I’m assuming just falls within the range of variability of a female type “Slate-colored” Junco.

          https://www.flickr.com/photos/56018183@N08/24259858802/in/dateposted-public/

          I also recently posted a few photos from Burris Basin (last weekend) of the Red-necked Grebe and Ash-throated Flycatcher.

          https://www.flickr.com/photos/56018183@N08/23663558014/in/dateposted-public/

          Doug Willick

          Orange, CA