Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Fairhaven Cemetery: Black-throated Green Warbler + Plumbeous Vireo

  • Ryan Winkleman
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      I've gotten a couple emails inquiring as to the certainty of my
      identification earlier on the vireo and whether I misidentified a Cassin's
      as a plumbeous. I did play the plumbeous call on my phone to see if it was
      around (I wasn't seeing anything but yellow-rumps in the tree) and it
      responded *immediately * and came out and started calling back. However,
      given the similarity in calls between plumbeous and Cassin's vireo
      vocalizations, both the bird and I may have been confused about what we
      heard. Unfortunately with the amount of shade under that tree I actually
      can't be certain that the color scheme matched correctly and I was
      admittedly a little over-excited in calling it good.

      I have not reviewed the photo on my computer yet (I'm dealing with a minor
      crisis at the moment) but please rest assured that when I do I'll send it
      off to the appropriate experts or just post online. I'll redact my sighting
      in the meantime until there's a consensus.

      Thanks and sorry for being a little too excited earlier and not waiting
      until I got home first to check for sure...

      Ryan Winkleman
      RSM

    • glepper@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2013
        I typed up a longer reply as to why I made the ID, and then accidentally sent it to a single person. When I get it back, I'll post it to the group, but I got two poor quality images of the bird in question in the Mystery Birds folder.

        One is a picture from the side, the second is a screen capture of a vert ooor video showing the underside. Also captured in the video are some of the birds calls.

        I'm off to bird, when I get back hopefully I can resend the more detailed post.

        --==--
        Garett Lepper
        Orange
      • glepper@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2013
          I've isolated the audio from the video, and I have 45 seconds of a poor quality recording with the bird in question calling. If anyone is an expert at distinguishing Cassin's from Plumbeous, I can send it your way, it's about 800kb. Also, there are two poor quality photos in the Mystery Birds section. I ended up with four bad pictures, and some video (about five seconds of the bird) and about 59 seconds of it calling as people are mowing in the background.

          There has been a Cassin's Vireo at this place wintering, it seemed to me to be a very yellow bird when I took a photo of it in the winter. The lighting was terrible, but I didn't see any yellow at all on this bird. Gray uppers, white breast, belly and flanks. Clear bold spectacles (broken under the lores), two white wing bars, and it seemed in the lighting basically gray and white. No yellow that I could see, although it was mostly in the shadow in the pine on an overcast day, so the color could have eluded me. The other fieldmarks of the bill and primaries length is beyond my ability, but might be possible to determine from the photos.

          The last location of it was in the NE corner of the park, where the Black-throated Green has been reported. Just west of that area is a maintenance shed and the bird was foraging in the large pine just to the south east of that building.

          Thanks in advance for any feedback at helping definitively identify this bird.

          --==--
          Garett Lepper
          Orange
        • chris_morrison1
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2013
            It's tough call with the back-lighting you had. I assume Ryan had an equally difficult lighting situation. I'm certainly not an expert, but I pulled your photo and pumped up the brightness in Photoshop. It's still tough to see, but I detect a fair amount of yellow and white, which suggests Cassin's, but the dark area under the lower wing bar is more suggestive of Plumbeous. Overall, the color makes me think it's the former.

            I'd take either one for my county list!

            Chris Morrison