OC birding day

  • mrsmeckle
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2013
      I had today off, so I spent the day birding around OC based on some recent "hot spots" that I had noticed in my daily emails. I started off the day at Fairhaven Memorial Park, where I not only missed Doug by a very short margin of time, but I missed the BTGW that he and Chris found today. I did find plenty of chipping sparrows, though, a bird that I still needed to cross off. I then drove over to Huntington Central Park after reading about some good "missing" birds that were seen in the Talbert Lake area within the last week; unfortunately they'll all stay missing for now, but the highlight was probably three downy woodpeckers all hanging out together within feet of each other foraging by the playground. Then to John Baca Park where I found the solitary sandpiper with no effort at all. I didn't try for the ovenbird.

      The best part of my day was at Bolsa Chica, where I parked at the PCH lot and birded with my scope for about three hours all the way down to the northern bridge on the bike paths. New birds that I checked off for the year included brant, horned grebe, whimbrel, long-billed curlew, ruddy turnstone, western sandpiper, and elegant tern. I also got a couple mystery birds, gull and sparrow. I have uploaded their photos to the Mystery Birds folder. No reddish egret :-( Since it was getting late afternoon by the time I finished, I wrapped up the day by quickly visiting Crescent Bay Park, Heisler Park, and Treasure Island Park in Laguna Beach and the Salt Creek area in Dana Point; however, the only bird of note that I observed was a black oystercatcher off of Treasure Island Park.

      All in all a great day and a great opportunity to get lots of water birds in. Some selected photos below.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/rswinkleman/

      Ryan Winkleman
      RSM