Black Brant & Oystercatchers, Laguna Beach

  • bharley87
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2013
      This morning, walking at Treasure Island Park (Montage Hotel), we viewed a single Black Brant on the rocks for awhile, then flew a short distance & floated & preened in the water. Also saw 4 or 5 Oystercatchers on the rocks, one an American or hybrid. These rocks are near the ramp down at the most southern beach. My first sighting of a Black Brant...had to check the bird guide...had never seen a goose at the beach!

      Barbara Harley
      Laguna Beach
    • chris_morrison1
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 28, 2013
        I must have made 4 or 5 attempts at this bird. When I finally saw him, he was way out on the rocks about 200-250 yards away and the bill shone like a beacon. Fortunately, I was ultimately able to get close enough to him for a photo. I thought I saw what looked like an American from my original position, but once I got closer there was no sign of it. Just another reason to go back!

        Black Oystercatcher
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/n2dpsky/8599835392/in/photostream/

        While I was there, I also spotted this very lovely male Allen's Hummingbird in the shadow of a palm.

        Allen's Hummingbird
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/n2dpsky/8598734203/in/photostream/

        Chris Morrison
        Orange, CA