Highlights of this morning's UNB census

  • Nancy Kenyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2013
      We did our monthly bird count in Upper Newport Bay this
      morning (Wed.) from aboard the pontoon boat from the Newport
      Sea Base. Weather was mostly overcast and the tide was an
      outgoing one, providing us with a plentiful amount of
      mudflats and sandbars for the shorebirds to forage on.
      Highlights included: An Osprey sitting on the nest on the
      nesting platform by the Back Bay Science Center while its
      mate was perched on top of a nearby pole; a group of 27
      Double-crested Cormorants crowded close together on a
      floating pipe boom near North Star Beach; a Reddish Egret
      stalking it prey in the shallows (this is the 3rd month in a
      row we've seen it); a Brant, spotted by Darrell Wilson,
      foraging in a large clump of Cordgrass with some shorebirds,
      on the west side near Constellation; and a Red-breasted
      Merganser, swimming close to shore on the east side. We had
      higher than usual numbers of Blue-winged Teals (21), Spotted
      Sandpipers (6), and Dunlin (23). On a couple of exposed
      mudflats, we saw huge flocks of Western Sandpipers. Several
      birds showed signs of breeding plumage: American Avocet,
      Eared Grebe, Brown Pelican, Greater Yellowlegs, Marbled
      Godwit, and Double-crested Cormorants.

      Our monthly counts are done on the 3rd Wednesday morning of
      each month. Data from these counts is posted on the Sea &
      Sage Audubon webpage at: http://tinyurl.com/ctpng5p

      Nancy Kenyon
      Irvine