Re: Allen's Hummingbird?

  • jacksnipe1990
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2013
      Isaac,

      Yes, this hummingbird is an Allen's. Your excellent photos showing the extremely narrow outermost tail feathers (r5) is distinctive. BTW, Allen's Hummingbirds are resident and very common in Newport Beach, so your default Selasphorus here in the County would be ALHU. A few Rufous Hummingbirds are moving through the county right now from what I have read in reports lately, so it is always good to double-check.

      Robert McNab
      Laguna Niguel, CA