Peters Canyon 3/7

  • mrsmeckle
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2013
      Went to Peters Canyon yesterday after work. Only enough time to get a cursory view of the reservoir from the ranger trailer (overwhelmingly shovelers with small numbers of buffleheads, ruddy ducks, mallards, grebes too far to ID, etc.) and to go on the trail west from the parking lot to the "gnatcatcher" loop. If you've been there then you probably know the loop I'm talking about; I think it's marked as the Lake View Trail when you're out there. Highlights included at least five California gnatcatchers, a white-tailed kite that we watched foraging over a grassy patch, numerous Anna's and Allen's hummingbirds performing the swooping breeding displays, a ridiculous mass of swallows over the reservoir as it pushed closer to sunset, and a golden-crowned sparrow (my first since last winter). Unfortunately I left my camera in the car and missed out on some great photo opportunities :-(

      Ryan Winkleman
      RSM