A few wintering birds of note in Santa Ana

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2013
      Spent my lunch break today (Mar. 7) inspecting the Santiago Park Nature Preserve (SPNR) in north Santa Ana. Had covered only very small sections of this long linear park this winter. There was a 1st-year female type Bullocks Oriole in the grove of red-flowering Eucs about 100 yards east of the SPNR visitors center; due to early date this was presumably a bird wintering in the area. About 100' s.w. of the visitors center a nifty-looking male flicker was hanging around with 2 or 3 typical "Red-shafted" Northern Flickers. The odd flicker showed many features of a good Yellow-shafted (distinct yellow in the tail and wings, red crescent on the nape, and the rich golden-buff color about the face and throat shown by Yellow-shafts). The bird, however, had red malar stripes (though there may have been a tiny bit of black near the base). So an interesting looking intergrade. The intergrade seemed quite cooperative (really bummed for not carrying along my camera, as perched low and close for a good while).

      Lastly, a short distance further west, a Red-naped Sapsucker was in a pepper tree adjacent to the east side of the Santiago Street bridge (a historic, now pedestrian only, bridge). This was undoubtedly the same bird that has spent the last three winters at SPNR (due to its presence in the same tree it has favored in the past, and the fact the bird seems to show an odd mix-as in the past-of male and female markings on the head).

      Doug Willick
      Orange, CA
    • Peter Scott
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2013
        I saw the Red-naped Sapsucker. Thanks, Doug!

        Peter Scott