Oak Canyon Nature Center

  • kingbird58
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2002
      Saw some interesting birds Saturday in the canyon:

      20-30 Acorn Wood Peckers
      100+ Audubon Warblers
      2 Oak Titmice
      1 Kingfisher
      1 Cactus wren making it's nest in the cactus
      2 White Breasted Nuthatches
      1 California Quail
      1 Crissal's Thrasher
      3 Pacific Slope Flycatchers
      6 White Crown Sparrows
      Scrub Jays galore

      And no people. Beautiful spot. Birds make their appearance around
      8AM.
    • Lilith Mageborn
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2002
        My ten year old daughter and I went two hours later, at 10 am, on the
        bird walk, a short walk geared toward kids. We saw the Acorn
        Woodpeckers. One White Breasted Nuthatch. One California Thrasher - by
        the parking lot. Plenty of California Towhees. One Pacific Slope
        Flycatcher.

        Best of all, though, was the Northern Mockingbird. My daughter didn't
        quite see it but I did by the flash of its wings. I explained to her why
        it's called by that name - and demonstrated. I'm hearing impaired, so I
        asked her to listen - she has very acute hearing. She was just amazed! I
        went through a range of sounds, faithfully reproduced by the mockingbird
        as soon as the sounds were out of my mouth. Now, I've been having
        feedback problems with my hearing aid. I decided to finish with a
        flourish, singing the last stanza of Twelve Days of Christmas...and
        darned if the bird didn't...! "...twelve drummers drumming - wheeep! -
        eleven pipers piping - wheeeep! - ten lords a leaping - wheeeep!" I do
        not think the staff there will thank me for teaching the mockingbird that
        because by the time we pulled away from the parking lot, it had repeated
        that stanza and feedback a good ten times. But the wonder and amazement
        it engendered in my daughter was priceless, and served to deepen her
        interest in birding.

        So...if anyone hears that particular tune...that's where it came from.

        I'm fond of that place myself.

        Sue Jorgenson
        East Anaheim

        On Tue, 08 Oct 2002 20:07:32 -0000 "kingbird58" <jhkeen@...> writes:
        >Saw some interesting birds Saturday in the canyon:
        >
        >20-30 Acorn Wood Peckers
        >100+ Audubon Warblers
        >2 Oak Titmice
        >1 Kingfisher
        >1 Cactus wren making it's nest in the cactus
        >2 White Breasted Nuthatches
        >1 California Quail
        >1 Crissal's Thrasher
        >3 Pacific Slope Flycatchers
        >6 White Crown Sparrows
        >Scrub Jays galore
        >
        >And no people. Beautiful spot. Birds make their appearance around
        >8AM.

        >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • Lilith Mageborn
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2003
          This morning, from 9:15 to 11:30 or so, another list member and I birded
          Oak Canyon Nature Center. The bugs were definitely out in full force!
          Here is what we saw with a question or two:

          Acorn Woodpeckers
          Nuttall's Woodpecker
          -- is it possible to have a Ladderbacked Woodpecker down here? This was
          separate and distinct from the Nuttall's and even more spotted front &
          back, no red at all.
          Mourning Doves
          Turkey Vultures
          House Finches (in pairs)
          Bushtits
          female Yellow Warbler
          Anna's Hummingbird
          Allen's Hummingbird (after about twenty minutes of comparing between
          Sibley, Stokes, RTP guides and discussing - and for once, that Allen's
          actually...POSED...and preened!)
          California Thrashers - in trees and on the ground; we saw one
          tree-hopping and chowing down on berries; there were two or three on the
          ground elsewhere.
          Black Headed Grosbeak
          Scrub Jays
          Mockingbirds

          Two hawks who went by so quickly we didn't get a chance to really ID -
          one may have been a Red Shouldered Hawk, it had a rufous belly and
          breast. She saw one way up in the sky without the TV "fingers" so figured
          it was a larger hawk.

          Jury's still out on whether it was a Wilson's Warbler she saw or a Lesser
          Goldfinch I saw; same bird, two different opinions. :-) She zeroed in on
          the black cap, I zeroed in on the grey wingfeathers as it went by.

          California Quail - by voice alone near the front end, calling back and
          forth

          And, of course, the ones that got away without being ID'd. It was
          wonderful, with my fellow birder's hearing, to be able to track down some
          birds that I otherwise wouldn't have seen. She got a bit frustrated -
          some of the brush was swarming with unseen birds and she kept repeating
          the sounds to me - but those birds just would not appear.

          Here's the other question. Is it possible at all to have a bird that
          sounds like a chickadee but sings? What bird might that be? JG heard this
          bird and explained. I said I'd ask, so here it is...

          Thanks, JG! We saw some good ones today! -- did I leave anything off the
          list? Didn't have a pen with me.

          I'm shooting for Tucker in the morning, hoping it's actually open. If
          not, I'll try Irvine Lake or Irvine Reg Park.

          Sue Jorgenson
          East Anaheim CA

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!