Burris Basin (Red-necked Grebe) and Holy Sepulchre Cemetery

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2013
      I guess in a recent post I shouldn't have stated that the Red-necked Grebe had likely departed the Burris Basin (Anaheim Coves Park) area. As far as I could tell it was seen fairly regularly through about 15 Feb., but then was apparently a no-show ever since (not for a lack of looking). Late this afternoon (2 Mar.), however, the Red-necked Grebe (RNGR) was "back" at Burris. (I'm not sure if it was just able to keep out of sight the whole time, or if it may've been moving around to other reservoirs in the area.) Viewing from the south end of Anaheim Coves Park (from the parking lot off Ball Road), there were about 50 to 55 Western/Clark's grebes just northeast of the parking lot, while the RNGR was off sleeping by itself much further to the north [actually between the east side of the island ("Tern Island") in the middle of Burris and the reservoir's eastern shoreline]. The bird only brought its head out for a second or two during the 15 minutes I was able to watch it, at which point it eventually disappeared around the n.e. corner of Tern Island.

      Earlier today I dropped by Holy Sepulcher Cemetery. A female Lawrence's Goldfinch was found associating with a mixed flock feeding on the ground (mostly House Finches, but also Lesser Goldfinches and Yellow-rumped Warblers). In the tall conifers and a coast live oak along the eastern edge of the cemetery (just north of the tall statues) were two Red-breasted Nuthatches (a male and female type); possible a third was heard elsewhere in the cemetery.

      Doug Willick
      Orange, CA