Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Possible Hybrid Teal at Bolsa Chica

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2013
      Brad,

      You may want to compare your photo with this one...

      http://www.focusonnature.com/BaikalTealCayman%2701.htm

      http://www.focusonnature.com/baikalteal.jpg

      ...which is misidentified as a Baikal Teal. In fact it looks very much
      like your bird.

      Some hybrid duck combinations are known to produce birds with a superficial
      resemblance to Baikal Teal. Sibley (June 1994, Birding) discusses hybrid
      ducks (neither parent being a Baikal Teal) that can look superficially like
      Baikal Teal.

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      Birding Classes start Feb 5 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/